More Cab Work

Although we had done some work on the cab area earlier on (seats, basic painting and others) there was still some work to do.

Instrument panel

The biggest problem was that the instrument panel had been damaged during the time when the vehicle was being used at the school – the speedometer was not working and the glass in the other instruments had been broken. We managed to source a replacement speedometer so we decided to strip down the instruments, clean and repair them and re-paint the various parts.

Cab-area
Cab area.

A photo of the cab area from 2011, before deep cleaning and re-upholstering the seats.

Refurbished-panel
Refurbished panel.

The refurbished and repainted instrument panel before fitting to the binnacle.

A lot of time was spent carefully bending the needles of the instruments to ensure that they were straight and didn’t foul on the meter scales or escutcheons.

Panel-refitted
Panel refitted.

Instrument panel in situ.

We replaced the broken glass in the two smaller instruments with perspex which was donated from a scrap LCD from a computer!

When we were refitting the binnacle to the dash we also found a problem with the windscreen wiper mechanism; this caused the entire dash and binnacle to move when the wipers were on – in a most nautical fashion! Re-alignment of the various rods and levers resolved this problem.

Door strap

Door-strap
Door strap.

A new leather strap fitted to the driver’s door. This stops the door from opening too wide.